This classic jam cookie gets a twist using desiccated coconut as the base. We also added lemon zest to give a nice citrus flavour. If you love coconut with a hint of lemon, this is your cookie.
If the dough is too soft to shape into balls, refrigerate it for a few minutes, until firm enough to handle; the cookies will spread as they bake, so place them about 2inch apart.
Recipe: Coconut Jam Cookie (椰丝果醬餅乾)
Makes: 12-14 Cookies
• 1 large egg
• 100g granulated sugar (i use 70g)
• 1 tsp vanilla extra
• 2 tsp lemon zest (i use 1.5 small lemon)
• 150g sweetened shredded coconut
• 20g Frezfruta Apple Blueberry Jam
1. Preheat the oven to 160C.
2. Line a baking pan with parchment paper, set aside.
3. In the standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg on medium-high speed until light yellow and smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Switch to the paddle attachment, add the sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest. Beat on medium speed for about 5 minutes.
5. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the shredded coconut, mixing until thoroughly combined.
6. Drop the batter in 1-2 tablespoon mounds onto the parchment-lined baking sheets, about 2 inches apart from one another.
7. Using the back of a spoon or your fingers, gently make an indentation in the center of each cookie mound.
8. Fill the indentation with about 1 teaspoon of jam.
9. Bake the cookies for about 15 minutes, or until slightly golden brown.
10. Open the oven door slightly to let dry in the oven for a few more minutes. (depend on oven heat, about 7-15min, till nicely brown).
- make sure that the well in the each cookie is large enough to accommodate a small amount of filling. jam fillings are prone to leak over the sides of the cookie if too much jam is place in the well or if the well is not deep enough.
Filled the bites with different type of your favorite jam. The colourful delightful treats will sure bring smiles to many.
This post is for the "Get Out of the Box" Blogger Challenge. If you like the recipe and photos, please give us a like on our Facebook album. Each like will earn us 1 point, and 2 points for each share. Thanks and Good Luck to us! (Challenge end 22 Nov 2012)