The cream cheese frosting here has a soft consistency that's ideal for swirling or swooping. It's the classic choice for topping many cupcakes even carrot cake. It's easy to prepare, versatile and tangy.
Please share your favorite butter/cream cheese frosting with us if you have tastier version.
Recipe: Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes: 12 Large Cupcake Frosting
• 250g cream cheese, room temperature
• 113g unsalted butter, room temperature
• 250g icing sugar (i use 215g)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. With an electric mixer, mix the butter, cream cheese and vanilla extract, about 3 minutes on medium speed until extremely light and smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
2. Slowly add the icing sugar on low speed beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy. (for easier frosting, you can harden up a bit in the fridge before icing, but i didn't)
3. Spoon into a piping bag to decorate the cupcakes. Sprinkle some cake crumbs/sweets if you like.
- 2 tsp of Chinese Five Spice is always great for exotic chocolate cakes.
- freshly ground ginger helps spice up a carrot cake.
- freshly ground chai spice or even the contents of 1-2 bag of earl grey tea are heady and aromatic.
- scrapings from a vanilla bean can be very sweet and heavenly for red velvet or dark chocolate cakes.
- freshly grated or dried, flaked coconut mixed in makes it perfect for a coconut cake.