Lately there have been a craze over our local chilled beancurd pudding. It all started with Lao Ban (老伴豆花) at Old Airport Road Hawker Centre.
They are different from the authentic chilled beancurd (also known as tofu pudding, soybean pudding, beancurd jelly, duohua, tao huay) where it has a distinct soya bean taste and sugar syrup drizzling over it. Lao Ban's beancurd are silky smooth that will melt in your mouth with a little soybean milk.
Instead of fighting the queue now you can make this mind-blowing awesomeness dessert at home! You can even twist the recipe to make green tea and almond flavor.
Recipe: Chilled Beancurd Pudding
Makes: 6 regular bowls
Ingredients to make Soya Milk:
• 1400ml of water
• 120g of 'Polleney' Soya Bean Milk Powder
• 60g of 'Unisoy' Soya Bean Milk Powder
• 2 pcs pandan leave (optional)
Ingredients to make Soya Beancurd Pudding:
• 1400ml of soya milk (from above)
• 60g Nestle Coffeemate coffee creamer
• 60g of sugar to taste(not required if using carton-ed Soya Bean Milk) (i use 45g)
• 28g of instant jelly powder (if pudding is too watery, increase to 30-32g) (i use 29-30g)
1. Mix all the ingredients for Soya Milk in a big saucepan. Stir until dissolved, add pandan leave and heat up over low fire till its hot but not boiling. (IMPORTANT: DO NOT BRING TO BOILING STAGE throughout the whole process)
2. Add coffee creamer, stir till fully dissolved (about 1min).
3. Add sugar, stir till fully dissolved. Discard pandan leave (about 1 min).
4. Add instant jelly powder, stir till fully dissolved (about 3 min). Off fire.
5. Sieve out the bubbles and pour into container/bowl. Let it cool for 5 minutes.
7. Chill in the fridge overnight.
- stir constantly for every step. Ensure each ingredient are properly dissolved before adding another, if not you may have lumpy jelly powder that cannot dissolved.
- pour some cold soya milk onto it before serving
- soya milk packet drink (Drinho or Vitasoy) can be replace for the homemade soya milk, omit the sugar when making the pudding
- If you prefer a stronger and creamier beancurd pudding, you can adjust the ingredient to 130g Polleney Soya Bean Milk Powder, 70g Unisoy Soya Bean Milk Powder and 70g Nestle Coffeemate coffee creamer
Recipe inspired by: Miss Tam Chiak - Source from edmw.
Not only it has similar taste & texture to Lao Ban, it is cheaper to homemade and I can reduce the sweetness to my preference! Superb homemade beancurd at our convenience!