Assam Pedas is sour, fiery hot, and tastes extraordinarily satisfying which it’s a mainstay guaranteed to spike the appetite of my husband. Since it's father day and upon his request, we decided to have Assam Pedas Fish tonight.
We bought ready made BABA’S Fish Curry Powder and add in our own indgredients. BABA'S curry powder is a favorite brand among curry aficionados and it has no MSG, no additives, no preservatives! This curry powder is sure to tantalize your buds!
Recipe: Assam Pedas Fish
• 2 Snapper Fillet Fish (also known as Ang Ko Li) (about 300-350g)
(you can use whole white pomfret / red snapper, stingray fillet too)
• 6 lady finger (sliced to halved)
(pick the young one by pressing the tips gently, they should be springy)
• 2 onions (sliced)
• 2 cloves of garlic (sliced)
• 2 green chilli
• 1 stalk of lemon grass (white part only)
• 2 large tomatoes (cut into wedges)
• 100g of Baba's Fish Curry Powder (you can use 75g first if you are not a spicy person)
• 3 tbsp of cooking oil
• some curry leaves
• 500g water
• sugar to taste (i use ½ tbsp)
• salt to taste (i use ¾ tsp)
Tamarind (Assam) Juice:
• 2 tbsp of tamarind pulp
• 1 cup of water
1. Clean innards of the fish and marinates them with salt for 30 minutes. Rise off with water and wipe out any excess water with kitchen towel before cooking. (salt draws out the “fishy” flavor and keep odors to a minimum)
2. Soak the tamarind pulp with 1 cup of water for 20 minutes. Squeeze the tamarind pulp constantly to extract the flavor into the water. Drain the pulp and set aside the tamarind juice.
3. Heat oil, stir fry onions & garlic for 1 minute or till fragrant and add in the green chilli & curry leaves for another minute.
4. Stir to mix the fish curry powder & tamarind juice and bring to simmer.
5. Add in the 500ml water, lemon grass, lady finger, tomatoes and bring to boil.
6. Add the fish, salt, sugar and simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes or until the fish is cooked.
7. Serve hot with white rice or Papadum.
Papadum can be bought at any Malay stall in the Market. It goes well with curry and assam pedas