21 February 2010
Mandarin Orange Chicken
Ingredients: (serves 4)
• 2tsb hua tiao wine (chinese rice wine)
• 3tsp corn flour
• 450g chicken breast or thigh fillets, cubed
• 1tsp sugar
• 1tbsp rice vinegar
• 3tbsp light soy sauce
• 3tbsp mandarin orange juice
• zest of 1 mandarin orange
• 2tbsp canola oil (or any cooking oil)
• 2 dried chillies, halved (or 4 small chillies, halved)
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 2 slices fresh ginger
• 100g snow peas, ends and strings removed, halved
• 8-10 mandarin orange segments
1. In a medium bowl, mix rice wine and corn flour with chicken and mix well.
2. In a small bowl, stri sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, orange juice and orange zest.
3. In a wok, heat oil over medium heat until the wok is hot but not smoking. Fry dried chillies/small chillies until they turn dark brown, almost black. Remove chillies and set aside.
4. Add garlic and ginger to the wok and stir briskly until they sizzle.
5. Increase fire to high heat and add the chicken. Stir for a minute, add snow peas and stir-fry for another minute.
6. Add orange sauce and continue stirring for another two minutes, until the chicken pieces are cooked. Return dried chillies/small chillies to the wok.
7. Add mandarin orange segments and stir gentle.
8. Serve immediately.