This is not the ultra-pungent stock, but light and mild in flavor. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes to extract the maximum flavor from the vegetables. It is light yet flavourful. The vegetable stock is, in my opinion, the most versatile stock because it is flavorful enough (and healthy) to create stews, soups, pasta and other flavouring of food.
Recipe: Homemade Vegetable Stock
Makes: 1.8L of stock
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 large yellow onion
• 2 stalks celery, including some leaves
• 2 large carrots
• 1 bunch spring onions, chopped (i forgotten to add in, but the soup is still good!)
• 8 cloves garlic, minced
• 8 springs fresh parsley
• 6 sprigs fresh thyme
• 2 bay leaves
• 8 cups of water (2L)
1. Chop scrubbed vegetable into 1 inch chunks.
2. Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots, scallions, garlic, parsley, thyme and bay leaves, cook for 5-10 mins, stirring frequently.
3. Add salt and water. Lower heat and simmer for 30 - 45mins, uncovered.
4. Off the heat, strain and discard vegetables.
Recipe inspired by: All Recipes
It can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days.