Hainanese chicken rice is a perennial favourite Hawker dish among locals and tourists alike. Delicately poached succulent chicken infused with ginger, fragrant steamed rice and accompanied with tangy chilli sauce for that extra kick. OoooooOOoo.... Mmmmmm....
This much loved hawker dish can be prepared at home too. Don't be fret out by the long recipe, it is relatively easy, seriously. If time is well managed, the dish can be prepared within 2 hours. This may not be the most authentic recipe or the best, but anything homemade is filled with love. I am sure it will be well loved by family and friends. Moreover I am confident that this simple yet tasty dish will be raved, well at least my husband and family think its awesome!
Recipe: Hainanese Chicken Rice (海南鸡饭)
Ingredients for Chicken:
• 1 whole kampung chicken, clean, rinsed and drained
• 100g spring onion (about 3 stalk)
• 100g sliced ginger
• 3-4 tbsp coarse salt for cleaning chicken
• a pot of water enough to cover the chicken
• 250-300g cucumber, thinly sliced (slice only when food is ready to be serve)
*A small kampung chicken is good for two, but if you are a small eaten, then get 2 breast or tight. A big kampung chicken is good for 4.
1. Pluck off any bits of hair, clean the chicken all over by rubbing with coarse salt. The chicken skin should become smooth and shiny. Rinse the salt off the chicken when it is cleaned.
2. Stuff the chicken with the ginger slices and the spring onion.
3. Bring a pot of water to boil, making sure that there is enough water to submerged the entire chicken. Dip the chicken into the boiling water and dip it a few times until the skin is cooked (this is to ensure that the skin does not break). Once the skin is cooked, poach the chicken for 30mins, do not cover the lid, turn the chicken over halfway through cooking. Ensure to keep below the boiling point during the entire cooking process. (while waiting, prepare the rice & chilli)
4. When the poaching is complete, turn off the heat. Plunge chicken in ice water immediately for about 10mins (to stop the cooking process, keeping the meat tender and skin crunchy.) *Set aside the stock for later use.
5. Brush chicken with 1 tbsp sesame oil. Chop the poached chicken into small pieces with a heavy cleaver.
*i like my stock richer in taste, therefore I bought extra half chicken, discard the skin, wash & rise, continue to simmer in the stock for another 30mins in low heat. No salted added and it is good enough on its own.
Ingredients for Sprinkling Sauce for Chicken:
• 1 tbsp light soy sauce
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 2 pinch of sugar
• 4 tbsp sesame oil
• 50ml poaching stock
• Coriander, for garnishing
1. Mix all the ingredients. Drizzle sprinkling sauce over the chicken, garnish with coriander.
Ingredients for Rice (for 4 pax):
• 4 rice cup of rice, rinsed and drained
• 2 tbsp sesame oil
• 60g ginger, peeled and chunks
• 8 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
• 4 pandan leaves, tied in knot
• 1 tsp salt
• 900ml poaching stock
*for 2 pax, 2 cups rice, 2.5 cups of stock (500ml) and reduce everything to half.
1. Heat up 2 tbsp of sesame oil in a frying pan, stir fry all the ingredients (except salt & chicken stock) until fragrant. Add in the uncooked rice and salt, stir for 2 minutes to mix well.
2. Put the rice and fried ingredients into a rice cooker, add in the poaching stock. Cook according to rice cooker’s instruction.
Ingredients for Chilli Sauce (sufficient to serve 6pax):
• 70g of red chillies (i use 4 big chilli (70g) + 8 eyes chillies - we are loves the spiciness)
• 40g ginger, sliced
• 15g garlic, smashed
• 1 tbsp sesame oil
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp sugar
• 15ml white vinegar
• 1.5 tbsp fresh lime juice
• some chicken stock (i use about 40ml, we like it thick)
1. Blend the ingredients (except lime juice and chicken stock) in a blender until it is fluid and smooth.
2. Gradually add in the chicken stock until till you get desired consistency. Then add in the fresh lime juice. Chilli sauce can be prepare in advance and keep in refrigerator up to a week.
Just before serving, heat up the stock, season with salt, garnish with finely chopped spring onion, serve hot.
Trust me, this is recipe is a keeper. You won't regret trying it. *^)^*