This sweet and savory soup is rich in vitamin C and minerals. It boasts the ability to benefit the spleen and throat, dispels inner heat, nourishes lungs, purges toxins and enhances radiance.
Chinese likes to use pork ribs for making soup, however in this recipe we use pork backbones. Not only it enhance the soup flavour, but also compensates for the cooling nature of the green radish and carrot, while replenishes calcium.
Recipe: Green Radish Carrot Soup 青红萝卜汤
Serves: 2 pax
• 200g green radish (青萝卜)
• 200g carrot (红萝卜)
• 15g chinese almond kernels (mix of Southern & Northern Almond) (南北杏)
• 20g chinese barley (中国薏米)
• 2 pieces candied dates (蜜枣)
• 400g pork backbone (pig's spine) (猪龙骨 (斩件))
• 1.5 litres water
• salt to taste (i omit this)
1. Peel and wash green radish and carrot before cutting into chunks.
2. Wash almond kernels and barleys, but not the candied dates.
3. Wash pork backbone and scald with hot water for one minute, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
4. Add water, pork backbones and all ingredients except the carrots in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat for 30mins.
5. Add in the carrots and reduce to a rapid simmer over low-to-medium heat for 2 hours. Turn the heat off and season with salt.
Detoxify for great look, full of goodness, flavourful with natural sweetness. What's more, you can have this soup as often as you like, there is no contraindication!