Chocolate cream pie (unsweetened puff pastry shell with chocolate filling) with a modern twist. Instead of the usual flour, eggs, butter and sugar for the shell, we replace them with shredded coconut flakes! Equally delicious and with extra fragrant recipe.
It may not be the best, but definitely the simplest and still mouthwatering! My friends adore the nice nutty flavor of the toasted flakes, which really work well with the chocolate. However my husband felt the dark chocolate was too intense and preferred a semi-sweet or milk chocolate instead.
With four or five ingredients, you have a beautifully rich chocolate tart in less than an hour!
And if you top the tarts with a tad of coarse salt, they have an incredible balanced, sophisticated and complex flavor.
Recipe: Coconut Flakes Chocolate Tart (巧克力塔)
Makes: 20 tarts (using small muffin tin)
• 2 egg white
• 400g sweetened shredded flakes
• ⅔cup heavy cream
• 140g quality dark chocolate, chopped
• 2tsp coarse salt (optional garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. On a parchment lined baking sheet, spread coconut flakes out in one layer (you have to separate 200g by 200g if you are using a small oven). Toast flakes in oven until they are just beginning to brown around the edges, about 8-10 minutes (be careful not to burn flakes).
3. Let coconut flakes cool slightly and pulse them in a small blender until they’re finely ground.
4. Mix coconut flakes and egg whites in a bowl until blended. With wet fingers, press about 1 rounded tablespoon of the coconut mixture into small muffin tin.
5. Bake tart shells in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until the shells are just beginning to turn light golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and cool shells for about 1 minute and then carefully remove them from the tin on a wire rack and cool completely on a wire rack.
7. Meanwhile, place the cream in a saucepan over medium heat and heat until almost boiling. Remove cream from heat. Add the chocolate. Stir until chocolate has melted and the filling is smooth.
8. Pour the chocolate filling into the tart shells and place in the freezer for 10 minutes or until the filling has set.
8. Garnish with coarse salt (optional). Serve with berries (覆盆子) as prefer.
Recipe inspired by: New Food Fast by Donna Hay
Coconut Flakes Chocolate Tart (覆盆子巧克力塔)