We are having our monthly Food Photography gathering today, and I decided to whip up this dessert bar for it's rich in taste and incredibly pretty look (ahem, i style them!).
The crust is crunchy and flavorful with plenty of spices and walnuts-perfect foil for the tangy-sweet strawberry preserves. It is perfect for any occasion and especially Christmas celebration.
Recipe: Linzer Torte Bars (Cookie Exchange Quantity)
Makes: Number of bars depend on the size you cut (i have 36 bars)
• 384g all purpose flour
• 240g powdered sugar (i use 200g - still pretty sweet to me, but perfect to the rest)
• 300g ground walnuts
• 340g butter or margarine, softened
• 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
• 200g raspberry or strawberry preserves
• additional powdered sugar, if desired (i add extra ground cinnamon with the sugar for the extra flavor twist)
1. Preheat oven to 190C. Line your 15 x 10 x 1 inch pan with aluminum foil for easy removal from the pan, leaving a little over-hang of foil on two sides.
2. In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients (expect preserves and additional powdered sugar) with spoon until crumbly.
3. Reserve 2 cups (200g / 1/3cup of the overall) of the mixture for topping, press remaining mixture in bottom of ungreased pan.
4. Bake 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Spread with preserves. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture; press gently into preserves.
5. Bake 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar and ground cinnamon.
6. For bars, cut into 48 bars (8 by 6 rows) or 18 for a larger bar.
Recipe inspired by: Bettycrocker
My in laws love them and they especially requested to have it for Christmas celebration! It is still pretty sweet to me, but both my friends and husband just love the taste. The sweetness is prefect for them to reduce any further.