Decided to make Chocolate Lava Cake (Molten Lava Cake) to cheer myself up. The oozing runny chocolatey is sOoOOooOOOooOo goodness.
Recipe: Chocolate Lava Cake
Makes: 4 6-ouce ramekins (u can use muffin cups too)
• 60g unsalted butter, plus more for ramekins
• 80gm icing sugar sugars, plus more for ramekins (i use 50g if im using semi sweet chocolate)
• 120g semi-sweet or dark chocolate (i use semi-sweet)
• 3 eggs
• 2 tsp instant coffee (optional)
• pinch of salt
• 6 tbsp all purpose flour (sieved)
To decorate (optional)
• icing sugar
• berries (strawberry, blueberries, raspberries)
• vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Grease ramekins with some butter, dust over with some sugar.
2. Place the butter and chocolate in a bowl over simmering water or microwave them on high until melted. Stir to mix well and let it cool slightly.
3. Combine the eggs, sugar, coffee, salt, whisk them for about 2mins.
4. Combine the chocolate and eggs mixture, hand whisk to combine.
5. Stir in sifted flour and whisk till just combined. (DO NOT OVERMIX).
6. Fill the ramekin 3/4 full with the batter and bake for about 11-12 minutes.
7. Remove ramekin from oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes. Use a knife to gently loosen the edges. Carefully invert the cake onto serving plate.
8. Serving suggestion: Use a sieve to dust icing sugar over the cake. Serve a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some berries at the side.
You can prepare the batter ahead and just pop into the oven and then serve immediately, with vanilla ice cream, fruits and/or cream or just eat it on its own.
Left overs can be stored in the fridge (in their ramekins or cups), and popped into the microwave to heat for a couple of minutes the next day or oven to turned into super moist chocolate cake.
The cake is deliberately slightly undercooked so as to achieve its ideal consistency which is runny in the middle. (If you are using muffin cups or even paper cups, reduce the bake time to about 8 minutes or even lesser. But don't worry about over baking. I like it runny in the middle (hence the lava) but if you over bake, you will just get a super moist chocolate cake)