It may be a lot of work to prepare such a simple soup. But trust me, it is definitely worth it. Nothing beat home cooked food! From the soup base to wrapping of wanton, everything suite your own taste bud.
Recipe: Wanton Soup
Makes 20 wantons
• 1 Packet of wanton wrappers
• 200g minced meat (or replace with prawn)
• 10 water chestnut, diced (for extra crunchiness)
• Vegetables (option)
• 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
• 1 small pinch of salt
• 3 dashes white pepper powder
• 300g leg quarters (chicken thighs and legs)
• some yellow beans
• 4 cups water
• Salt to taste
• White pepper powder to taste
• Sesame oil to taste
1. Prepare the stock first. Bring it to boil and skim off the scum that surfaces until the stock is clear. Simmer on low heat for 30min. Pour the stock through a sieve and set aside.
2. Put the minced meat in a small bowl. Marinate with the seasonings for 1 hour. Add in the water chestnut.
3. Place a wanton wrapper on your palm and put about 1 teaspoon (about 3-4 pieces) of the shrimp filling in the center of the wonton wrapper. Wrapped iit by folding half side way. Repeat until the filling is used up.
4. Add 3 cups of stock into a medium saucepan and bring it to boil. Add salt, white pepper powder, and sesame oil to taste and set aside.
5. Heat up another big saucepan with water. As soon as it boils, drop the wantons into the water. Stirring gently so the wantons don’t stick together. Continue to boil until the wantons are cooked and float to the surface. Add in the vegetables.
6. Transfer the wontons out with a hand strainer and divide them into 2 equal servings. Pour a ladleful of stock over each serving and serve immediately.